China curriculum development
Maritta Välimäki, PhD, RN
Nurse manager, Hospital District of Southwest Finland
tel.int +358-2-333 8495
To develop evidence-based education in mental health between Finland and China.
- develop and test new courses to be included in Master studies in both countries (Module I & Module II)
- train Master level nurses’ professional skills
- provide information about the importance of mental health issues
Module I (Pilot course I):
The process of evidence-based nursing in mental health area (5 ECT, August 2014, Department of Nursing Science, University of Turku, Finland)
Students have knowledge and preliminary skills to identify and conduct the process of evidence-based nursing practice in mental health area.
Sub-goals and learning outcomes:
- Students are aware of the scope and principles of EBN in mental health area
- Students are able to identify and analyze the process of evidence-based practice in mental health area
Module II (Pilot course II):
Facilitation of evidence-based practice (3 ECT, 23.3 – 28.3.2015, Tongji University, Shanghai, China)
Students are able to use their knowledge and skills to implement evidence-based practice in mental health area.
Sub-goals and learning outcomes
- Students are aware of the different implementing strategies and outcome measures of Evidence -based practice in mental health area
- Students are able to identify and analyze clinical situations and the steps needed toward evidence-based practice
- Students are able to use evidence-based decision-making to promote evidence utilization in mental health area.
- Students understand and are able to facilitate a positive culture of inquiry for evidence- based practice.
Module II (Facilitation of evidence-based practice, 3 ECT) is a available as elective studies at Department of Nursing Science, University of Turku and as compulsory studies at Tongji University, China.
Summary report I of the project was published in March 2015:
Shu Ying Zhang, Maritta Välimäki, Tella Lantta, Kati Kannisto, Virve Pekurinen, Terhi Suvanne, Yan Hu, Jue Li, Lei Xu. 2015. Health problems and needs among citizens with mental illness in Finland and China. Summary Report I of the Project “Curriculum Development for the Evidence-based Nursing – Mental Health Module”. Publications of Department of Nursing Science, University of Turku. Research and reports. Series A:72.
COLLABORATORS AND FUNDERS
- University of Tongji, China
- Fudan University
- Shanghai Mental Health Centre, China
- Shanghai Nursing Quality Control Centre, China
- City of Turku
- Finnish Nurses’ Association
- ITU ry