COST Action CA19133 – Fostering and Strengthening Approaches to Reducing Coercion in European Mental Health Services (FOSTREN)
Main responsible partner in Finland
Department of Nursing Science, University of Turku
Tella Lantta, RN, PhD
Postdoctoral researcher (Academy of Finland)
+358 50 4756068
Finnish Management Committee members
- Dr Tella Lantta (UTU)
- Ms Aila Vokkolainen (Niuvanniemi Hospital)
- Dr Satu Tuovilainen (Niuvanniemi Hospital, substitute member)
- Mr Mikko Ketola (The Hospital District of South Ostrobothnia (EPSHP)/ National network for reduced use of coercion/ National Institute for Health and Welfare of Finland, substitute member)
- Professor Richard Whittington PhD, CPsychol, BA, AFBPsS, PGCert, PGDip
Centre for Research & Education in Forensic Psychiatry
Forensic Department Brøset
St. Olav’s Hospital
Department of Mental Health
Norwegian University of Science & Technology (NTNU)
FOSTREN is an Action designed to establish a sustainable, multidisciplinary network of researchers and practitioners focused on reducing the degree to which mental health services use coercion in hospital and community mental health services. Action takes place in years 2020-2024 and first meeting will be held on October 2020. Currently 18 countries are involved.
- to advance understanding of successful interventions to reduce coercion within an implementation science paradigm by building a stable interdisciplinary network of European researchers and practitioners
- to apply this understanding by articulating and communicating best practices to key stakeholders responsible for mental health service delivery
- Networking activities organized along four themes: risk factors; alternative interventions; outcomes & recovery; and implementation science.
- Key deliverables such as a framework for shared datasets and a coercion reduction implementation model
FOSTREN will contribute to a pan-European effort to enhance human rights for vulnerable people with mental health problems.
Full description of the COST Action
FOSTREN country blogs
COST is supported by the EU Framework Programme Horizon 2020.
Finnish Country blog about coercion
Review protocol for WP4 (Implementation Science)