Part 1: Comparison of two on-site methods to select undergraduate nursing students (2006-2014)
The aim was to compare the predictive value of two on-site methods to select undergraduate nursing students. The study was undertaken as a cohort study. Students admitted to BSc nursing programs in a Finnish nursing school between 2002 and 2004 (N=626) were allocated into two cohorts based on the on-site selection method, namely psychological aptitude test and literature-based exam. Follow-up data was collected at two measurement points (May 2004 – May 2009). Admission archives (entrance exam scores), study records (study success) and a structured self-report questionnaire (knowledge and skills) were used to collect data. Statistical data analysis was undertaken. As a result, very little differences were observed between the two cohorts regarding the knowledge and skills, and study success. Based on the results, it is recommended that neither of the two selection methods should be used alone to predict knowledge and skills, or study success of nursing students. Further longitudinal research is needed.
Professor Elina Haavisto (formerly Eriksson)
Professor Helena Leino-Kilpi
University Lecturer Maija Hupli
Statistician Pauli Puukka
PhD candidate Kirsi Talman, University of Turku, Department of Nursing Science.
- Talman K. Talman, K. (2014). Student Selection in Nursing Education. A follow-up study of two selection methods and their relations to the knowledge, skills and study motivation of nursing students (original text in Finnish, abstract in English). Doctoral dissertation, University of Turku, Annales Universitatis Turkuensis, Series C – section 383.
- Talman K, Hupli M, Puukka P, Leino-Kilpi H, Haavisto E. The predictive value of two on-site selection methods of undergraduate nursing students: a cohort study. Submitted for publication.
- Eriksson E, Talman K, Hupli M, Leino-Kilpi H (May 2011), Graduating Nursing and Emergency Care Students’ Competence. ICN conference, Valletta, Malta. (poster presentation).
Talman K, Eriksson E (6 September 2012), What is a good nursing student selection made of? 23rd International Networking for Healthcare Education Conference, Cambridge, UK. (oral presentation).
- Talman K, Eriksson E, Leino-Kilpi H, Hupli M. Kahden valintamenetelmän yhteys hoitotyön opiskelijoiden kolmannen lukukauden osaamiseen ja opintomenestykseen. Vaikuttavat oppimisympäristöt terveysalalla. Toinen terveysalan koulutuksen kansallinen konferenssi 3.-4.6.2013. Helsinki. (poster presentation).
- Talman K, Hupli M, Eriksson E, Leino-Kilpi H (2014). Kahden valintakoemenetelmän yhteys hoitotyön opiskelijoiden valmistumisvaiheen osaamiseen ja opiskelumotivaatioon. XII Kansallinen hoitotieteellinen konferenssi. Perhe, yhteiskunta ja hoitotiede, 12.-13.6.2014, Tampere. (oral presentation)
- Talman K, Eriksson E, Hupli M, Leino-Kilpi H. (June 2015), A Follow-up Study of Two Nursing Student Selection Methods. International Council of Nurses (ICN) Conference. Soul, Korea. (oral presentation).