The Turku Centre for Medieval and Early Modern Studies organizes together with the SCISMA-project financed by the Academy of Finland a workshop in Turku about medieval crises on Tuesday 10th of December 2019.
The venue of the workshop: Sirkkala Campus, Kaivokatu 12, Minerva & Historicum Buildings
In the late medieval period, Western Christendom faced dramatic challenges. The Black Death, the Hundred Years War, and the Great Schism among other both natural and man-made disasters gave the period its distinctive character. This workshop will bring together an international panel of speakers to discuss and debate some of these crises and the strategies both individuals and institutions developed to manage them.
9-10.30: Welcome & Session 1 (Seminar room Tempo, in Minerva, 2nd floor)
- Benjamin Weber (University of Stockholm): Dealing with a financial, logistical and legitimacy crisis: papal administration of crusading funds in the 15th century
- Jussi Hanska (University of Tampere): Pope, anti-Pope, what does it matter? Benedict XIII and the anti-Judaic Preaching
10.30-11: Coffee break
11-12.30: Session 2 (Seminar room Aikala, in Historicum, 2nd floor)
- Edward M. Schoolman (University of Nevada, Reno): The Second Pandemic and Ecological Crisis in Late Medieval Italy
- Georg Modestin (Kantonsschule Freudenberg, Zurich): … et statum Alamanie perturbavit in suis processibus contra Ludewicum factis: Louis the Bavarian, the Avignon popes, and the schism in the German empire in the first half of the 14th century
- Jenni Kuuliala (University of Tampere): Witchcraft and the veneration of saints in Catholic Reformation era Italy.
12.30-13.30: Lunch break
13.30-14.30: Session 3 /Presentation of the SCISMA project (Seminar room Aikala, in Historicum, 2nd floor)
- Anni Hella, Teemu Immonen, Marika Räsänen, Kirsi Salonen, Reima Välimäki
14.30-15: Coffee break
15-16.30: Session 4 (Seminar room Aikala, in Historicum, 2nd floor)
- Anni Hella (University of Turku): Battle over manuscripts: Authority of texts in the Council of Ferrara–Florence
- Teemu Immonen (University of Turku): Managing the crises: Roman parish churches and the Western Schism